We are a research group fascinated with the fundamental limits in computation. We design, fabricate and prototype interesting electronic devices that can approach or break these limits. Our devices are often nanoscale and utilize novel physics and phenomena in emerging materials such as ferroelectrics, antiferroelectrics, multiferroics and strongly electron correlated system. We politely boast of our expertise in “precision” measurement and characterization and state-of-the-art device fabrication and material growth. Often, we conceive of new ideas peripatetically, which we try to test in two of our dedicated labs housed in the lower levels of the Pettit Microelectronics Research Center (MIRC): one for measurement and characterization and the other for materials growth (equipped with molecular beam epitaxy-pulsed laser deposition (PLD-MBE) system). To build our nano-devices, we heavily utilize the clean-room facilities at the Institute of Electronics and Nanotechnology.
A list of our selected publications is as follows.
- Z. Wang, S. Khandelwal & A. I. Khan, “Ferroelectric oscillators and their coupled networks,” IEEE Electron Dev. Lett. 38, 1614 (2017).
- A. I. Khan*, M. Hoffmann*, K. Chatterjee, Z. Lu, R. Xu, C. Serrao, S. Smith, L. W. Martin, C. Hu, R. Ramesh & S.Salahuddin, “Differential voltage amplification from ferroelectric negative capacitance,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 111, 253501 (2017). (Cover article, editor’s pick. *Equal contribution)
- A. I. Khan, K. Chatterjee, B. Wang, S. Drapcho, L. You, C. Serrao, S. R Bakaul, R. Ramesh, & S. Salahuddin.“Negative capacitance in a ferroelectric capacitor,” Nature Materials 14, 182 (2015). (Nature Materials News and Views, Press coverage at the National Science Foundation, CITRIS-UC, Phys.org, etc.)
- A. I. Khan, X. Marti, C. Serrao, R. Ramesh & S. Salahuddin, “ Voltage controlled ferroelastic switching in Pb(Zr0.2Ti0.8)O3 thin films,” Nano Lett. 15, 2229 (2015).
- A. I. Khan, C. W. Yeung, C. Hu, & S. Salahuddin. “Ferroelectric negative capacitance MOSFET: Capacitance tuning & antiferroelectric operation,” Proc. Intl. Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), pp. 11-3 (2011).
- A. I. Khan, D. Bhowmik, Pu Yu, S. J. Kim, X. Pan, R. Ramesh, & S. Salahuddin. “Experimental evidence of ferroelectric negative capacitance in nanoscale hetero- structures,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 113501 (2011). (Cover article, Most notable 50 APL papers in 2009-11, Press coverage at UCBerkeley NewsCenter, CNET.com, Phys.org etc.)